For immediate release:
From King County Democrats
Steve Zemke- Chair
Republican Ballot Collection in King County Threatens Integrity of Election Process
The King County Democrats condemn the canvassing efforts of Rob McKenna and the King County Republicans to collect ballots at people’s doors and put them into King County Elections Drop boxes. This breaks the historical chain of custody that has existed in our election process and opens it to abuse and fraud.
We would never have allowed one party or unauthorized election officials to collect ballots from polling places in the past and transfer them to King County Elections. Yet what McKenna and Republicans are doing is taking ballots from voters and breaking the chain of custody that existed in the past and that putting a ballot in the mail or a drop box insures.
Tampering with mail is a Federal offense and tampering with votes is a felony. Yet who is watching over the ballots when GOP paid canvassers pick up ballots and ensuring that ballots are not lost or changed or tampered with. GOP paid canvassers are not election officials and should not be handling ballots.
We urge Washington State Secretary of State Sam Reed to call a halt to this unforeseen and callous attempt to destroy the ballot chain of custody process. We likewise urge Sherril Huff of King County Elections to also tell Republicans to cease this process as it threatens the integrity of the election results. Would state and local election officials think it was OK for anyone to remove ballots from a drop box and transport them to King County? Republicans and McKenna need to cease this process now!
McKenna Camp Paying People to Collect Ballots; KC Elections Advises Voters to Send Ballots In Themselves http://www.seattlemet.com/news-and-profiles/publicola/articles/mckenna-camp-paying-people-to-collect-ballots-kc-elections-advises-voters-to-send-ballots-in-themselves
Elections officials caution voters about canvassers offering to help with ballots http://www.king5.com/news/local/Elections-officials-caution-voters-on-canvassers-offering-to-help-with-ballots-177047041.html
King County Warns that GOP Is Trying to Collect Ballots http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/11/02/king-county-warns-that-gop-is-trying-to-collect-ballots
WA: GOP Volunteers Going Door To Door In DEMOCRATIC King County TO COLLECT BALLOTS!!! http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021701454
- Musical Chairs in Washington’s 48th LD races
- Targeting Democratic Voters to Win in the 2014 US Senate Races
- Tax Exemption Transparency and Accountability Act Filed with State Legislature
- Why Eyman’s 1/3 Constitutional Vote Proposal is Bad for Washington Taxpayers
- Democrats and the Issues Facing our Nation – Do they Have the Answers?
Tags2008 Elections August 18 2009 Primary Barack Obama BIAW Bush campaign disclosure campaign finance Chris Gregoire congress Democrats Dino Rossi elections endorsements fuel efficiency standards George Bush global warming Governor Gregoire Hillary Clinton I-1033 Ingraham High School initiative 1033 Initiative 1053 initiatives John McCain King County Democrats No on 1033 No on I-1033 Peter Goldmark Presidential election Property Taxes Public Disclosure Commission Republicans Save the Trees - Seattle Seattle City Council Seattle School Board Seattle School District Senator Cantwell Tim Eyman Trees Urban Forestry US Senate US Supreme Court Washington State Washington State Legislature Washington State Supreme Court
- More Evidence Suggests Tackling Child Poverty Best Thing to Do for Our Kids
- Paul Ryan’s Anti-Poverty Plan Would Have Devastating Impact in Washington State
- Lack of Economic Progress & Opportunity Gap Holding Washington’s Kids Back
- Now Accepting Applications for the 2014-2015 Narver Fellowship
- State Tax Resources to Fall Critically Short of Current Needs
- How democracy saves Seattle schools from bad superintendents
- House Republicans authorize John Boehner to file baseless lawsuit against President Obama
- Republican Party trying to drive down support for Matt Isenhower with attack mailers targeting 45th’s Democratic voters
- LIVE from Detroit: NSA Surveillance Reform: Pitfalls and Opportunities
- LIVE from Detroit: Turn on the water! Panel addresses city’s unconscionable shutoffs