As Rachael Maddow notes, more Americans support background checks for people buying guns at gun shows than support capitalism, Italian food, or taking a vacation. What don’t Republicans in Congress and in our state legislature not understand? Talk about being out of touch.
The Washington Post ABC poll was conducted March 7 – 10th. As Bloomberg News reports:
More than nine in 10 Americans favor mandatory background checks for purchases at gun shows, according to a poll out today.
The ABC News/Washington Post survey showed 91 percent supporting such checks, with 8 percent opposing them. Making illegal gun sales a federal crime was backed by 82 percent, with 15 percent in opposition.
President Barack Obama’s call to ban military-style assault weapons is supported by 57 percent and opposed by 41 percent.
A second poll done by the Quinnipiac University from Feb 28 to March 4th found similar results:
By an 88 – 10 percent margin, including 85 – 13 percent among voters in households with guns, American voters support background checks for all gun buyers. Voters also support 54 – 41 percent a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons and back 54 – 42 percent a nationwide ban on the sale of ammunition magazines with more than 10 rounds.
Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee voted unanimously to move forward on background check legislation. The Committee vote was 10 to 8 with all 8 Republicans voting no. Republicans are not listening to voters but to the NRA and gun lobby money. In the Quinnipiac Unviersity poll 83 % of Republicans polled supported universal background checks. Republicans continue to be out of tune with the public’s strong support for Congress to act to control gun violence.
The Senate Judiciary Committee has also by a 10 to 8 party line vote approved the ban on assault weapons proposed by President Obama and to limit ammunition clips to a maximum of 10 bullets.
Democrats Voting YES
Patrick Leahy – VT
Diande Feinstein – CA
Chuck Schumer – NY
Dick Durbin – IL
Stephen Whitehorse – RI
Amy Klochbar – MN
Al Franken – MN
Christopher Coons – DE
Richard Blumenthal – CT
Mazie Hirono – HI
Republicans Voting NO
Chuch Grassley – IA
Orin Hatch – UT
Jeff Sessions – AL
Lindsey Graham – SC
John Cronyn – TX
Michael Lee – UT
Ted Cruz – TX
Jeff Flake – AZ
- Musical Chairs in Washington’s 48th LD races
- Targeting Democratic Voters to Win in the 2014 US Senate Races
- Tax Exemption Transparency and Accountability Act Filed with State Legislature
- Why Eyman’s 1/3 Constitutional Vote Proposal is Bad for Washington Taxpayers
- Democrats and the Issues Facing our Nation – Do they Have the Answers?
Tags2008 Elections August 18 2009 Primary Barack Obama BIAW Bush campaign disclosure campaign finance Chris Gregoire congress Democrats Dino Rossi elections endorsements fuel efficiency standards George Bush global warming Governor Gregoire Hillary Clinton I-1033 Ingraham High School initiative 1033 Initiative 1053 initiatives John McCain King County Democrats No on 1033 No on I-1033 Peter Goldmark Presidential election Property Taxes Public Disclosure Commission Republicans Save the Trees - Seattle Seattle City Council Seattle School Board Seattle School District Senator Cantwell Tim Eyman Trees Urban Forestry US Senate US Supreme Court Washington State Washington State Legislature Washington State Supreme Court
- Paul Ryan’s Anti-Poverty Plan Would Have Devastating Impact in Washington State
- Lack of Economic Progress & Opportunity Gap Holding Washington’s Kids Back
- Now Accepting Applications for the 2014-2015 Narver Fellowship
- State Tax Resources to Fall Critically Short of Current Needs
- Flawed Economic Model Hurts Washington State
- LIVE from Detroit: NSA Surveillance Reform: Pitfalls and Opportunities
- LIVE from Detroit: Turn on the water! Panel addresses city’s unconscionable shutoffs
- LIVE from Detroit: Keynote with Debbie Stabenow, Mark Schauer
- Live from Detroit: Detroit, Rocked City: How the Bankruptcy Led to Retirement Attacks that Could Spread Nationwide
- LIVE from Detroit: Why Net Neutrality is a Social Justice Issue