For immediate release:
From King County Democrats
Steve Zemke- Chair
Republican Ballot Collection in King County Threatens Integrity of Election Process
The King County Democrats condemn the canvassing efforts of Rob McKenna and the King County Republicans to collect ballots at people’s doors and put them into King County Elections Drop boxes. This breaks the historical chain of custody that has existed in our election process and opens it to abuse and fraud.
We would never have allowed one party or unauthorized election officials to collect ballots from polling places in the past and transfer them to King County Elections. Yet what McKenna and Republicans are doing is taking ballots from voters and breaking the chain of custody that existed in the past and that putting a ballot in the mail or a drop box insures.
Tampering with mail is a Federal offense and tampering with votes is a felony. Yet who is watching over the ballots when GOP paid canvassers pick up ballots and ensuring that ballots are not lost or changed or tampered with. GOP paid canvassers are not election officials and should not be handling ballots.
We urge Washington State Secretary of State Sam Reed to call a halt to this unforeseen and callous attempt to destroy the ballot chain of custody process. We likewise urge Sherril Huff of King County Elections to also tell Republicans to cease this process as it threatens the integrity of the election results. Would state and local election officials think it was OK for anyone to remove ballots from a drop box and transport them to King County? Republicans and McKenna need to cease this process now!
McKenna Camp Paying People to Collect Ballots; KC Elections Advises Voters to Send Ballots In Themselves http://www.seattlemet.com/news-and-profiles/publicola/articles/mckenna-camp-paying-people-to-collect-ballots-kc-elections-advises-voters-to-send-ballots-in-themselves
Elections officials caution voters about canvassers offering to help with ballots http://www.king5.com/news/local/Elections-officials-caution-voters-on-canvassers-offering-to-help-with-ballots-177047041.html
King County Warns that GOP Is Trying to Collect Ballots http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/11/02/king-county-warns-that-gop-is-trying-to-collect-ballots
WA: GOP Volunteers Going Door To Door In DEMOCRATIC King County TO COLLECT BALLOTS!!! http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021701454
Tags2008 Elections August 18 2009 Primary Barack Obama BIAW Bush campaign disclosure campaign finance Chris Gregoire congress Democrats Dino Rossi elections endorsements fuel efficiency standards George Bush global warming Governor Gregoire Hillary Clinton I-1033 Ingraham High School initiative 1033 Initiative 1053 initiatives John McCain King County Democrats No on 1033 No on I-1033 Peter Goldmark Presidential election Property Taxes Public Disclosure Commission Republicans Save the Trees - Seattle Seattle City Council Seattle School Board Seattle School District Senator Cantwell Tim Eyman Trees Urban Forestry US Senate US Supreme Court Washington State Washington State Legislature Washington State Supreme Court
- FAQs: Taxing Capital Gains To Build An Economy That Works For All Washingtonians
- Governor offers Realistic, Responsible Approach to State Budget
- Governor’s Carbon Pollution Proposal Ensures All Washingtonians Would Prosper In Low-Carbon Future
- Working Families Tax Rebate Will Help All Washingtonians Participate in the Low-Carbon Economy
- Statement: Governor’s Carbon Pollution Bill Protects Washingtonians
- LIVE from Bellevue: Governor Inslee unveils plan for investing in Washington’s schools
- Help us give Geov Parrish a hand up
- U.S. Senate passes $1.1 trillion, giveaway-stuffed “cromnibus” bill in late night vote
- U.S. House passes massive appropriations bill laden with gifts for Wall Street and K Street
- King County Council unanimously backs Carol Gregory for 30th District House vacancy