Conservatives are betting heavily that they can bring back their nefarious philosophy of corporate control of America by spending mega millions of dollars this year to convince conservatives and independents to get out and vote for right wing candidates to help takeover the US House and Senate. Think Progress reports that right wing spending for the November Election will drastically rise to around $400 million.
Under such well known previous players like the US Chamber of Commerce and the National Rifle Association are also all American sounding names like Americans for Job Security and Americans for Prosperity.
The Citizens United Supreme Court decision and Tea Party fanaticism and continuing libertarian ideals and free market advocates are all contributing factors stirring up a whirlwind of right wing dollars. Also contributing and giving these fanatics hope are polls that suggest the waning of the idealism and fervor of new voters and others that helped to elect Obama and put Democrats in control over the last several national elections. They are hoping these Democrats and independents don’t make the effort to vote this year.
All I can say is WAKE UP to those that thought electing Obama was the end of the need to fight for the future. Wake Up to the reality that what we won is in danger of being lost. Wake up to the realization that despite all the problems inherited from Bush and the Republicans that much progress has been made for a better future. Maybe its not all you wanted but it is a hell of a lot considering where we were.
I say to those not yet energized to vote this year – Are you willing to just roll over and play dead and ignore the damage to our future that this right wing fanaticism and greed will bring to us all? I hope not. I urge you to get engaged in this year’s elections and help battle off the attempt by the right wing to bring back the Bush/Cheney/Rove corporate greed machine that puts profit over people lives and dreams and hopes for a better future.
This election year is too important to sit out! Vote and urge your family and friends to vote. Give money to candidates you support and volunteer for their campaigns.
To give an idea of the magnitude and scope of the spending by conservatives here is the list of right wing groups and their proposed spending as tabulated by Think Progress. Do you really want these folks back in charge?
– Chamber of Commerce has pledged to spend $75 million
– American Crossroads has pledged to spend $52 million
– Americans for Prosperity has pledged to spend $45 million
– Republican State Leadership Committee has pledged to spend $40 million
– American Action Network has pledged to spend $25 million
– American Future Fund has pledged to spend up to $25 million
– Club for Growth has pledged to spend at least $24 million
– National Republican Trust PAC has pledged to spend at least $20 million
– An unnamed health insurance industry coalition has pledged to spend $20 million
– National Rifle Association has pledged to spend $20 million
– Faith and Freedom Coalition has pledged to spend $11 million
– FreedomWorks has pledged to spend $10 million
– Americans for Job Security has pledged to spend $10 million
– Susan B. Anthony List has pledged to spend $6 million
– Our Country Deserves Better (Tea Party Express) has already spent $5 million
– Tax Relief Coalition has already spent $4 million
– Republican Majority Campaign has pledged to spend $3 million
– Campaign for Working Families has pledged to spend $2 million
– Heritage Action for America has pledged to spend $1 million
– Financial Services Roundtable has already spent $0.5 million
– Family Research Council has raised $0.5 million
– Citizens United Political Victory Fund has pledged to spend $0.2 million
TOTAL: $399.2 million
- Washington State Senate Republicans Again Want to Ignore State Constitution
- 2015 Washington State Minimum Wage to Increase to $9.47/hr.
- Washington State Governor Jay Inslee and Climate Change
- Rich Erwin Elected New King County Democrats Chair
- WA 30th LD Democrats Nominate 3 Candidates to Replace Rep. Roger Freeman
- Bringing High-Quality Early Learning to Kids and Families in Washington State
- One Hundred Percent of Income Gains Have Gone to the Richest Washingtonians in Economic "Recovery"
- Senate “Education by Starvation” Proposal Proves that New Revenue is Needed
- Three Reasons to Raise the Minimum Wage in Washington State
- Washington State’s Upside Down Tax System Takes A Heavy Toll On Communities Of Color
- Proposed constitutional amendment to thwart unfunded mandates should be discarded
- Roger Freeman’s former legislative aide joins Republican Party to run for Legislature
- Martin Luther King, Jr.: “Justice too long delayed is justice denied”
- Actions speak louder than words, and Tim Sheldon’s actions make him a Republican
- Democrats settle score with Tim Sheldon by electing Pam Roach as President Pro Tem